Named Best Event in Downtown San Antonio at the 2017 Centropolitan Awards!
Bring your family and friends to the 14th annual Artpace Chalk It Up, a free festival of contemporary art that transforms Downtown Houston Street into a gallery – from the ground up.
Artpace Chalk It Up turns Downtown San Antonio into a chalk canvas, showcasing local emerging artists and raising funds for art education. Chalk It Up encourages everyone to become an artist for a day as we work on a collaborative city block-sized mural. Take part in hands-on activities like screen printing, chalk spirographs, and more! Additionally, local schools, universities, and non-profits are invited to play a significant role at Chalk It Up by creating an original design together as members of “Team Works”. Registration for Team Works is available at artpace.org.
This year, corprations and local businesses can get in on the fun too. Register for the Chalk It Up Corporate Competition at artpace.org.
Artpace Chalk It Up is presented by Argo Group with additional support from Valero Energy Foundation, Centro San Antonio, Frost Bank, HEB, San Antonio Water System, KIND, Whataburger and Subway.
CHALK IT UP ACTIVITIES:
• PUBLIC MURALS — Artists from all walks of life create murals about their organizations and businesses along Houston Street, led by the San Antonio Museum of Art.
• FEATURED & EMERGING ARTISTS — Our Featured and Emerging artists are always selected locally—they’re some of the city’s best, and play a prominent role in the success and enjoyment of Chalk It Up, creating compelling, original murals on Houston Street sidewalks.
• FOOD TRUCKS — Some of San Antonio’s finest mobile restauranteurs will park their food trucks along Houston Street to offer fresh local food to hungry chalk artists of all ages.
• LIVE MUSIC — The Artpace Chalk It Up stage across from the Majestic Theater features live music from a range of local musical artists.
• FREESTYLE — Let your creative genius run wild in our Freestyle Zones. We’ll provide buckets of chalk and plenty of blank canvas in the form of Houston Street; you bring the artwork.
Artpace is a non-profit contemporary art organization located in downtown San Antonio, Texas with residencies, exhibitions, and educational and community programs that nurture the freedom to dream. Artpace supports the creative process and engages audiences with the most innovative art and artists from around the world.
Since 1995, Artpace has welcomed more than 200 artists through its renowned International Artist-in-Residence program. Annually, Artpace hosts three residencies, which each feature one Texas-based artist, one national artist, and one international artist, who are selected by a notable guest curator. Each eight-week residency culminates in a two-month exhibition on site. The mission of this program is to provide artists with unparalleled resources that allow them to experiment with new ideas and take provocative risks. artpace.org.